Monday, January 5, 2009

I am so happy I could jump up and down!!! (Sun 1/4/09)

I called this morning to check on Kenzie and was given some very good news! They had just taken her off the oscillating vent and put her on the conventional vent and she was completely off the blood pressure meds. She actually did very well on the CPAP while they were switching the vents, but the doctor did not want to push her since they had already done so much. She was no longer sedated and the nurse said that she had to make sure that she was wrapped up really good because she was pulling at the breathing tube. She said she was a pretty feisty little girl!!!


The room was so quiet now that she was on the conventional vent. The oscillating one was so loud. I am confident that if Kenzie could sleep with all of that noise, she will be able to sleep through anything once she is finally able to come home!


She now remains on the vent, nitric oxide and oxygen, but her levels are much lower than they were when she arrived at Children's Friday night.


While I know that we are not out of the woods yet, I am amazed at how much better she is doing. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic, but am very pleased at how well my little fighter is doing!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! (I think I just yelled that outloud!)

    HAPPY 1 WEEK BIRTHDAY TO KENZIE!!!! What a great birthday present...no more ickie vent down my throat!!! Super special Birthday!!!

    For family & friends from afar I'd like to share with you my "outside" perspective of viewing this experience one step removed from the immediate family (I'm Becky's cousin). I've been so fortunate to have been able to see and share this agonizing and heartbreaking time with the Zoch family and I will tell you that they have an amazing family bond and their love and spirituality will see them through this life changing time. When I saw Kenzie today she was like a totally different baby! She's absolutely beautiful, her breating is less labored, and she looks so much more at peace. I can see in her eyes (yes, she's opening them) that she SO wants out of her little incubator (Becky can correct me on the official name of her hospital bed) and into her Mommy & Daddy's arms. I know she's anxiously waiting for Nonnie to hold her too. She's got a really big surprise when she meets Kailey & Karson...those little voices (and screams) she's been hearing for 8+ months...I think she's wondering where they've been for the last week. I'm just anxious to hold her...not that I'm on the top of her priority list by any means! :-) I'm sure I'll get my turn at some point and I'm OK with the wait.

    She's getting stronger and brighter every day! Each day is a new day and a day closer to Kenzie coming home! God Bless Little Kenzie, Becky, Kevin, Kailey & Karson!!!

    And Becky...she's doing GREAT! You'd never know she had major surgery just 7 days ago! She's been quite a fighter, too (but we all knew she was strong). She's always at Kenzie's bedside (until the nurses run her off) and Kevin has been so supportive and strong for Becky. Managing their household under normal conditions is tough enough...but when Kenzie threw a little wrinkle in things...managing wasn't really an option...it's just surviving! And, that's really OK! Thank goodness for the grandmothers and friends that have been able to help with Karson and Kailey, too. They've enabled Becky and Kevin the freedom they need to be at Kenzie's bedside.

    Thank God for friends and family. I'm oh so thankful for him holding little Kenzie in his hands while the Dr's and nurses helped her body heal and for holding Becky in his arms so she could heal and be physically strong enough to take care of Kenzie's needs.

    I'll sign off for now!!!
    Love you all!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete